Friday, March 6, 2015

Good news for the Monarch Butterfly




It's been a LONG winter and spring can't come soon enough. The temperatures in Maryland this winter, have been unbelievably bone chilling.  Although, I'm sure they don't even compare with the weather they've been having in Boston.  I guess I should count my blessings!   I am anxious to start planting in my gardens and enjoying the beautiful butterflies that will visit. The numbers of butterflies last year were really low, in part due to the previous years winter.  I hope that this years winter won't make an even bigger drop in their numbers.   I can hardly wait to go on my monarch egg and caterpillar hunts with my Mom and sharing my passion with my family, friends, and patients.  There has been some great progress when it comes to trying to save the monarch butterfly from demise that I would like to share with you.  Even the government has gotten involved.  Here is an interesting link telling just how!

www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/feb/09/us-launches-plan-to-halt-decline-of-monarch-butterfly

You can do your part as well by planting milkweed in your yard, gardens, or evening in your child's school's gardens.  Local parks are also great for starting butterfly gardens to help.  If you are having trouble finding milkweed seeds or plants, check out Monarchwatch.com or Swallowtailseeds.com.
There are plenty of varieties to choose from that would look beautiful in any garden.


                                     

                                                              GOT MILKWEED?

No comments:

Post a Comment