Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bye bye birdie ~

 First, a few more photo of my male Rubythroated hummingbird. 
 He was really showing of his brilliant red throat!

 The last baby robin ~  it was startled by my son and I checking it out and it hopped out of the nest onto the front yard.  It really wasn't ready to fly, so I tried to catch it put it back in the nest.  It's mother didn't want me anywhere near it.  I followed it down the front yard and watched it hop across the road to safety.
                                                              
It had to take a break on a little garden deco trellis.

                                                               
                               Momma with dinner for her chicks ~ taken the day before they fledged.


Bluebirds ~

                                                                 Momma with dinner!

                                                           Daddy has a snack too!
                                              And 5 little baby bluebirds~ what a cute family!
                        I finally picked up the wax worms and meal worms that my friend suggested ~
                                    they love them ~ they're going fast ~ time to hit the store for more!



                                A few new butterflies have been visiting my gardens already !

                                                           Spicebush Swallowtail


                           This male and female Spicebush swallowtail were doing the mating dance!
                                              Their host plant in my area  is the tulip tree.

This is a Hop Merchant (summer version)


I'm still hoping to attract the zebra swallowtial this summer.  I have several passionflower vines~ which is their host plant.  Paw Paw trees are as well, but the two I planted aren't  doing anything.
Put out some rotting fruit in your garden and see what kinds of butterflies you attract!

1 comment: