Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Monarch rearing 2011

 Chrysalis just before hatching becomes clear and you can see the monarch's wings through it!

 The abdomen of the monarch is filled with a fluid that it will pump into it's wings to inflate them.



 I had relocated the chrysalis to a tree branch that I placed in a pot filled with rocks.  It can be a little tricky removing it from where it was initially attached.  You have to be sure to pull at the silk part and not at the cremaster (stem) because it can easily break off.  The chrysalis must hang for the butterfly to form correctly.  You are able to handle the chrysalis a few hours after it is made.
 My first monarch was tagged and release on Monday August 22nd.
Tag # PBM 425
 It's a male!  You can tell be the two dark spots on the hind wings.

 This photo turned out kind of neat.  It was so bright outside that it was hard to get a great photo but with a little playing around on photoshop, I ended up with this! My son was holding the monarch!

Here he is hanging on my butterfly bush.  He hung around for about an hour after being released and then flew way up into the nearby treetops.  I hope he makes it to Mexico!

I still have 5 chrysalis, 5 in "J" formation, and 3 cats that will be close behind.
I also have 14 more cats in varies stages and 3 more eggs.
Hopefully I'll  have reared at least 31 Monarchs in the end ~ more if I find more eggs!

2 comments: