Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Monarchs have finally returned!!!

I was wandering around my yard the other night, working in my gardens and noticed a wonderful surprise ~ a monarch was feeding on my butterfly bush!  I have only seen two males so far and am hoping there are some females close by to start laying eggs on my butterfly weed and milkweed. 



They love that butterfly bush but the also enjoyed some lantana!



I am anxious to rear some 4th generation monarchs ~ these will hatch towards the end of August and later. These are the ones who will migrate to Mexico for the winter.  I tagged a few last year with some tags I received at a Monarch tagging in my town.  I had my garden certified as a Monarch Way Station, so I will have my own tags to use this year!
My tags should arrive in about a week!
Plant some milkweed or butterfly weed in your garden ~ don't let these beautiful butterflies die out!

No comments:

Post a Comment