Thursday, May 26, 2011

Second chances ~

My first nest of 5 eggs were destroyed by something ~ not sure what, but I'm guessing an aggressive house wren.  I found the broken eggs on the ground outside the box.  Shortly after though, a nest was made in my 2nd box and there are presently 5 eggs in there.  I hope these make it!  This is the Poppa bluebird dropping in a few twigs to attract a female.  If she accepts him as her mate, she will finish the nest and lay her eggs.  I guess he got lucky!

This is another couple, possibly the first couple ~ wondering what happened to their eggs.  I cleaned out the nest (which had bugs crawling through it).  If I'm lucky, they will start a new one.  I read that they can have up to 4 broods a season.

This is the female bluebird getting ready to go inside and set on her eggs.


She flew up in the tree and was keeping a close watch on me.

This robin has a nest of 4 eggs (2 of which hatched so far) in a hanging basket, on my front porch!
Each year I get a nest in there.  It's amazing how quickly they grow and fly away.
I'll try to post some photos of all they babies in the next few days!

1 comment: